There I was, sitting, enjoying my daughter's first birthday. Suddenly the phone rings. Who is it but G-Pops. He is calling to tell me about turkey bags and how wonderful they are when roasting gobblers. I thanked him graciously for the information. I also innocently mentioned that I was planning on soaking the turkey in brine overnight. I was told by multiple people that brining would result in moist delicious tryptophan-laden turkey meat. As soon as I mentioned my plan, there was an outburst through the phone. My previously adoring mother and formerly gracious sister-in-law were yelling at me. I was overwhelmed and in a daze from all the loud noises, but I'm pretty sure these are direct quotes. "You can't brine a turkey! You can't even assemble a sandwich!" "You're going to give yourself food poisoning and then we are going to laugh at you" "Bags are the future, Brining is for crotchety old people! Get with the Times Loser!"
Needless to say, I was shocked by the outrage a simple brining could cause. I attempted to explain the osmotic deliciousness that would take place overnight in the fridge, but once again my sanity, ability, and height were called into question. Tearfully, I said goodnight and wished them a Happy Thanksgiving. The next morning, I roasted the Turkey and enjoyed the most delicious bird I've ever had on Thanksgiving. I have quotes from some famous people that also enjoyed brined Turkey.
"Delicious, I'll never not brine a turkey again." -Julia Child
"I would gladly end a hunger strike to eat this turkey" -Gandhi
"There are 3 things I love about this turkey: The moistness, the deliciousness, .....and I don't remember the 3rd one. Oops." -Rick Perry
"Boo Ya!" -Jesus
Maybe next year I won't be criticized for turkey preparation. It will probably be on proper Yam storage after dinner.
I believe there will be opportunity for a taste test between the turkey in a bag and the one salted and soaked at uncertain temperatures
ReplyDeleteWe never accused you of being tall
ReplyDelete