Sunday, November 13, 2011

Discipline Daddy

Sydney is very good at throwing things.  This will become relevant to the story soon.  We are trying to start transitioning her from bottles to sippy cups.  So tonight she was drinking some milk from her sippy cup while she was sitting on my lap.  In between sips she threw it at me.  I laughed and realized that I shouldn't laugh because I didn't want her to continue throwing her cup.  So I gave it back and sure enough she threw it at me again.  This time I put on a stern face and said "Sydney No.  Don't throw your cup".  Her response developed slowly.  Or maybe I just remember it in slow motion.  At first she just looked at me.  Then the lip came out and began to quiver.  And then.......she was bawling.  Sobbing and wailing and it was all my fault.  I tried to comfort her, but my betrayal of how awesome it is to throw things couldn't soothe her.  I doubt things will get easier, but I don't think that I failed completely in my first attempt at discipline.  I will maintain my anti-cup throwing stance, and hopefully she will not hold it against me.

2 comments:

  1. that's it pops, you will be the subject of her therapy sessions in middle school

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hang in there Dave!! Someday she'll realize that you are right!!

    ReplyDelete