Day 4: Boone to Altoona. Today was the flattest day of the week. Lynette rode the first half which was 20 miles of 50. I started out the day by rescuing Steve who was dealing with chronic tire flatness. This put me about 30 minutes behind Pops, Dave and Donovan. So I sprinted the first 18 miles to catch up to them. I only slowed down to taunt a Wartburg College drink stand. I caught up to them at a winery and we rode in the rest of the way taking turns drafting through the head wind. We stayed with Erin and Donovan Hill and went over to one of their friends houses for pizza. They had a brick oven in the back yard and we made our own pizzas. It was the best Ragbrai meal I've had in all 6 years.
Day 5: Altoona to Grinnell. This was Dave and Kasha's last day with us. Lynette rode the morning again to Colfax. When I met up with everyone the first thing we did was go up Mt. Colfax. It was slightly steeper than Twister Hill but not nearly as long. The rest of the day was nice but hot. It finally rained while we were in Baxter. A sousaphone player serenaded us with Raindrops Keep Fallin on my Head as we sat through the rain. When we arrived in town the support decided that because of possible storms that night we would all be in hotels overnight. We hungout for a little while in town. Bought some shirts for Sydney and ourselves before heading to Newton to eat dinner and say goodbye to Kasha, Dave and Julien.


Babies survive margaritas again
ReplyDelete