Today is August 12th. Yesterday Odin had surgery to repair a torn ACL. He got through the surgery just fine and he is home with us recovering. He has 3 medications to take, and when we need to walk with him anywhere like to go outside to pee one person needs to use a sling to lift his hindquarters up off the ground. We put him in his kennel last night with the puppy cone of shame.
So once again today is August 12th. I slept from 11:30 to 3am last night when Odin began to whine downstairs. He can't climb stairs, so he couldn't sleep in the bedroom with us. Not being with us is probably worse for him than the pain from the surgery. We slept intermittently for an hour when Cherilyn decided that we should go comfort him. When we got downstairs Odin was standing and had pulled off the cone. We were concerned about him standing on his leg but he refused to sit for about 5 minutes. At 4am, 5minutes feels like an hour. We decided to try to take him outside to pee. We coaxed him out of the kennel and Cherilyn led him while I held the sling. He was successful in evacuation! When we brought him back in we let him sleep on his bed rather than in his kennel. We put his bed by the front window so he didn't have to walk far. It took much less time to get him to sit this time. But he still was trying to remove his cone. So Cherilyn went to bed and I stayed to watch him and try to help him sleep. After 60 minutes of him repeatedly trying to get the cone off I gave in and took off the cone. He relaxed and I got to sleep from 6:30 until 8.
At 8 I helped Cherilyn get ready for work and played with Sydney for awhile. Things went smoothly until 9:30. I was rocking Sydney to sleep and noticed by a damp warm feeling on my palm. She had soaked through her diaper. So I changed her, and she was awake for another 30 minutes before I rocked her to sleep again. I put her down at about 10:30. I went through the process of taking Odin out and hiding his medicine in food. At this point I was looking forward to a nice long nap. I sprawled out on the couch, threw the blanket over my legs, and that was the exact moment when Sydney began to cry. She didn't seem that upset. She was just talking to her teddy bear. So I held out hope that she would fall back asleep. After 15 minutes her talking turned into shouts of perturbed upsetness. I went up to get her and discovered that not only had she pooped, but she had her first blowout in at least 2 months. After changing her and spraying off the diaper which included poopy spray getting on my feet, we went downstairs to eat. She had a bottle and the majority of a jar of Chicken Noodle baby food. At present she seems energetic in a "you're not getting any sleep today Daddy" kind of way. Now it is 12:39. Only 11 hours and 21 minutes left of August 12th.
Feel free to bring the laptop while you're comforting Sydney/Odin and bring on more Sweet Sydney
ReplyDelete