When we arrived, we were surrounded by admiring nurses and doctors. She was so good and just stared at everyone with her big blue eyes. Everyone was amazed by how much she had grown. Most had not seen her since she was a week old. She then was measured and weighed. She almost doubled her birth weight and is now 12 pounds, 4 ounces which is about the 75th%ile and length was 23.5 inches also 75th%ile. Her head is around the 50th %ile. at 39cm. In other words, she is growing well and is now larger than average. Her small 6pound 6 ounce birth weight was a smaller than average and a surprise to many who thought that since Daddy Dave was so big that he would naturally have a huge baby. She has not caught her father yet though as I was told that from a very young age he was at the 99th%ile for height.
Next, Dr. Martin checked her out, and she passed her exam with flying colors. I did learn from the nurses that it is a Hmong custom that if a baby's hair sticks up like hers then you have an uncle spit on their hand and smooth it down and that should make it lie down for good. It sounds like it would probably work in the the short term, but I am guessing that after a subsequent bath it would stick back up again. I'm not sure how Uncles Dan and Nathan feel about this either.
Then it was time for the shots. I know Grandma Hyndman AKA Nana Nette was curious about the shots she would receive so I will list them all. Diptheria-Tetanus-Pertussis (DTaP), H. influenza (Hib) (meningitis-causing bacteria), Polio (IPV) are all in one. Pneumococcus (PCV) (Pneumonia causing bacteria). Hepatitis B. and oral Rotavirus (severe diarrhea-causing virus). So three shots and one oral vaccine. She will get the same ones at 4 and 6 months. She did very well! She cried for about 30 seconds after the shots but with a little comforting she calmed down and was fine. I fed her before leaving the clinic as well and that was even more comforting as she feel asleep for a 3.5 hour nap. She was more fussy, sleepy, and cuddly than usual this evening, which I thought was possibly due to her legs being sore, so I did give her another dose of Tylenol which seemed to help.
![]() |
| Sydney's doctor, Dr. Casey Martin, at the office Christmas party. |
![]() |
| Dr. Martin is not just a great doctor. He plays the guitar, does a great Santa impression, and, in season, pitches a mean softball. |


No comments:
Post a Comment